Pep Guardiola has ruled out the possibility of Manchester City adding further to their squad this summer. The Premier League title contenders have made no fewer than nine new signings since scraping a fourth-place finish during Manuel Pellegrini's final season at the helm, but their high-profile new boss is not looking to increase that number further before the current transfer window officially closes for business at 23.00 BST on Wednesday 31 August.
City's most recent arrival is Claudio Bravo, who finally completed a £15m ($19.8m) switch from Barcelona on Thursday (25 August). And while there are no problems with the experienced Chilean goalkeeper's conditioning, Guardiola has confirmed that he will not make his debut this weekend as Slaven Bilic's West Ham United visit the Etihad Stadium on the back of their hugely-disappointing Europa League play-off round defeat to Romanian champions Astra Giurgiu.
"He's fit but he's not going to play this weekend," he was quoted as saying by the club's official website at a pre-match press conference. "He's a goalkeeper with a lot of experience in Spain and in the national team. He played in important games to create something special for Chile. He's good in the build-up plays and quick off his line. He's a good player for us."
Bravo's arrival has all but sealed the end of Joe Hart's Manchester City career after the England number one was dropped and replaced by Willy Caballero for the opening three matches of the season before being selected for Wednesday's final Champions League qualifying tie against Steaua Bucharest.
That start appeared to be more of an opportunity to say goodbye rather than any admission from the manager that he has underestimated Hart. The player made sure to heartily applaud all four corners of the ground at full-time in response to fans chanting his name in recognition of achievements made since joining from Shrewsbury Town a decade ago.
Asked again regarding Hart's predicament, Guardiola said: " [director of football] Txiki [Begiristain] said we spoke with Joe and spoke about that, we want the best for him. The club will help him find the best option. I will treat him like anyone if he stays, I will be fair. Until now he's our player and that's all.
"If Joe stays here with the other goalkeepers, he'll be treated like the other players. For Willy, Angus [Gunn] and Joe, if they stay we will find the best solution for them and for us. They all need to play, the situation is not easy but we'll find the best solution."
While Hart's departure from City now seems almost certain, the identity of his next club is far less clear cut. Everton were linked heavily with his signature before reports suggested that they were unwilling to commit to a figure in the region of £7m for a season-long loan and Ronald Koeman claimed yesterday that there was definitely no interest. Sevilla and Borussia Dortmund have previously been listed among his other suitors.
Sunderland could be a potential short-term option after they announced that Vito Mannone will miss at least three months due to torn elbow ligaments that may require surgery to correct. Such a blow leaves England U21 regular Jordan Pickford as their only senior option between the posts.