Steven Jones
Suspected gunman Steven Jones, a freshman at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff is shown in this booking photo released on October 9, 2015. An 18-year-old student killed one peer and wounded three others when he opened fire during a confrontation on the Northern Arizona University campus early on Friday before being arrested, in another shooting to hit a U.S. school, authorities said. REUTERS/Northern Arizona University/Handout

Authorities have said that there is no indication the 18-year-old suspect in the deadly overnight shooting at Northern Arizona University was acting in self-defence. The suspect, identified as Steven Jones, shot four fraternity members, killing one.

Deputy County Attorney Ammon Barker told The Associated Press that Jones could have walked away from a fight he was involved on early on 9 October, but instead decided to grab his gun and "went back into the fray." Jones told police he was pursued by several people as he made his way to his vehicle, where he yelled that he had a gun.

Barker said one of the students shot and killed, was hit twice, once in the chest and once in the shoulder. The student who died in the shooting was identified as Colin Brough, while the three injured students were identified as Nicholas Prato, Kyle Zientek and Nicholas Piring, Reuters reported. All four were members of the Delta Chi fraternity.

Campus Police Chief Gregory Fowler said the three injured students suffered several gunshot wounds and were being treated at Flagstaff Medical Centre. The shooting incident occurred in a car park near a residence hall for the Greek fraternities and sororities around 1.20am, a university spokeswoman said. "We don't know the facts yet about what brought them together, or what caused the confrontation," Fowler said.

For his initial court appearance, Jones appeared before a judge via video from the Coconino County Jail, the AP reported. He was charged with one count of first-degree homicide and three counts of aggravated assault. The freshman student at the Flagstaff-based university was put on a $2m cash-only bond.