Samsung has released Android 4.4.2 KitKat update for the international version of Samsung Galaxy S4 bearing model number GT-I9295. The rollout begins one month after Samsung released the update to the AT&T variant of the handset.
The software update comes along with new build version I9295XXUCNE5, which upgrades the Galaxy S4 Active to Android 4.4.2 KitKat from older Jelly Bean version. The update is rolling out gradually. Currently it is available for users in the Netherlands and is expected to be available for all Galaxy S4 Active users across the globe soon.
Along with faster performance, Android KitKat brings white status bar icons, improved battery life, full screen album art and a camera shortcut on the lock screen, wireless printing support, ability to set the default messaging, launcher apps and several other goodies. Below are the firmware details for I9295XXUCNE5 build.
Model name: Galaxy S4 Active
Version: Android 4.4.2 KitKat
Build date: 21 May
Product Code: PHN
Users can grab the firmware update manually from Settings>> General>> About phone>> Software updates.
Those who failed to get the OTA notification or, access the update via Samsung Kies server for being region specific, may follow our step-by-step guide to install I9295XXUCNE5 Android 4.4.2 KitKat manually using Odin flashing tool.
Note that I9295XXUCNE5 is an unbranded version of firmware and can be installed on any GT-I9295 unit, regardless of country and region.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Before flashing the stock firmware users are advised to verify their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S4 Active to connect the Android device with the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone. Tap on Build Number several times until a message appears saying 'You are now a Developer.' Now go to Settings>> Developer Options to enable USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP then back up data using the same.
4) If the Android phone powers off due to lack of battery while the installation process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy S4 Active should have charge above 80% battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
7) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
8) I9295XXUCNE5 Android 4.4.2 KitKat official firmware works only with Samsung Galaxy S4 Active GT-I9295. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of S4 Active by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
How to install I9295XXUCNE5 Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Galaxy S4 Active (GT-I9295)
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using any extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with few other files, which are optional
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v.3.09.exe with few other files
Step-3: Switch off Galaxy S4 Active
Step-4: Place the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down button together
Note: Ensure that you have installed Galaxy S4 USB Drivers installed on the computer.
Step-5: Run Odinas Administrator on the computer
Step-6: Connect the S4 Active to computer using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with COM port number. This step might take some time
Step-7: In Odin, click AP button and select the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension
Step-8: Enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin. Ensure Re-Partition checkbox is not checked
Step-9: Verify everything and click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and take a few minutes to complete
Step-10: When the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. Once the home screen appears on the phone, disconnect the phone from the computer
I9295XXUCNE5 Android 4.4.2 KitKat should now be installed and running on the Galaxy S4 Active. Head over to Settings>> About phone to verify the new firmware version running on the handset.
How to fix bootloop issue
If the Galaxy S4 Active gets stuck at booting animation (after step-10), go to recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power and buttons together. Now perform Wipe data/Factory reset then Wipe Cache Partition. Once the action is completed, reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. In recovery mode, use Volume keys to scroll between options and Power button to select the desired option. Note that performing wiping task will erase the phone's internal memory data.