Several Xperia Z3 Compact users have been reportedly facing a spate of issues ranging from build quality problems to dead pixels on the screen, despite the handset's power-packed configuration.
IBTimes UK explores the most common problems affecting the Xperia Z3 Compact and a handful of viable solutions to fix them.
Wi-Fi Connectivity Issues
Check out a few potential fixes below:
- Disable the Stamina mode via Settings > Power management > Stamina mode.
- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and check the box to enable Wi-Fi during sleep.
- Ensure the phone is updated to the latest software by going to Settings > About phone > Software updates > system updates
- Verify that the router firmware is up to date.
- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and hold your finger over your preferred network. Choose Modify network > advanced options then select the box for Static.
- Ensure all the details entered under network settings are correct.
- Find the Wi-Fi MAC address for your phone and ensure it is recognised by the router by going to Settings > About phone > Status > Wi-Fi MAC address.
Battery Life Issues
A number of Xperia Z3 Compact users are reportedly complaining about low battery life issues with the handset, owing to quicker battery drains than expected.
Here are a few possible solutions to resolve this problem:
- Ensure features such as mobile data, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and NFC are turned off when not in use.
- Uninstall apps that you think could be draining more battery and delete those you rarely use.
- Reduce the speaker or ringer volume or turn off vibrations.
- Reduce the screen brightness to optimum levels.
- Go to Settings > Power management and turn on Stamina mode
- Avoid running games or the camera app when the battery is low.
- Update the phone to latest software via Settings > Device > System updates
Build Quality Issues
Xperia Z3 Compact users have been affected with a bunch of build quality issues pertaining to the handset including rear and front glass cracking, failing waterproof mechanism, and flaps not closing properly.
Here is the list of potential solutions to resolve this problem:
- A screen protector could come in handy to prevent the front glass from cracking.
- The front and back of the phone could be covered with a protective case for enhanced security against physical and water damage.
Some users have been complaining about over or hyper-sensitive touchscreen problems, especially with fast scrolling wherein the screen UI seems to bounce or move erratically.
Nevertheless, it is possible to resolve this issue through a few simple fixes given below:
- Make sure that glove mode is disabled.
- Go to Developer options and enable Show touches. Test the screen a couple of times and then turn the option off again.
- Use a fingerprint resistant screen protector
- Go to Settings > Apps > Running apps and force stopcom.sonymobile.touchscreen.touchfilter.tfpss.
Bad Audio Quality and Low Volume
Low volume and bad audio quality issues are among the most common issues plaguing a number of Z3 Compact handsets.
Here are a few workarounds to fix the problem:
- Try repairing the smartphone's firmware via PC Companion.
- Handset volume could be improved by adjusting Google Play Music's mid-range frequency equaliser a little bit higher.
Issues swiping pages across apps and on home screen
Several users have reported irresponsive behaviour with swiping screens or pages in apps and on home screen including issues with the Swipe to unlock feature on the smartphone.
It has been reported that users are forced to do multiple attempts in order to make the Swipe feature work correctly.
Those who are facing similar issues may try the following steps to resolve the same:
- Ensure Glove mode is disabled in Settings (though this should make the screen more sensitive, instead of less).
- Turn off Double tap to wake and then turn it back on.
- Remove screen-protectors that have been stuck to the glass on your phone's display.
- Wipe away any moisture from the phone's touchscreen to make it completely dry, besides cleaning any particle condensation.
- Download and use Nova launcher instead of the regular home application.
- Go to Settings > Power Management > Stamina Mode and select Extended usage. This lowers the speed of the processor.
- Update the phone's software with the latest patches or improvements.
Speed Dial Not Working
Speed Dial feature seems to be erratic or non-functional at times as several Z3 Compact users have recently posted complaints about the issue on forums and social networking sites.
Here are a couple of workarounds which could help fix this issue:
- Back up important data and factory reset the phone (find instructions on how to do this below).
- Try out alternative dialling applications from Google Play Store.
Here are the step-by-step guides to force-restart, force shut-down and factory reset the Z3 Compact:
- Press and hold down the Power key
- When a menu launches tap Restart
- Then tap Okay to confirm
- The device should restart itself automatically
Force shut down
- Detach the nano SIM card cover
- Use the tip of a pen to press down and hold the Power Off button
- Wait for the device to vibrate and then release the button
Factory Data Reset
- Back up important data on internal and external memory
- Tap the icon on your home screen that looks like two lines of three dots
- Go to Settings > Backup and Reset > Factory data reset
- Tap Reset phone.
- Enter any required PIN code
- Confirm by tapping Erase everything.
[Source: Android Authority]