If you are a user of Samsung's flagship Galaxy S5 having subscribed to AT&T's wireless network service in the US, then do check your handsets for the Android 4.4.4 KitKat OS update.
Officially announcing the latest rollout, AT&T states that users can check for Android 4.4.4 bearing build number KTU84P.G900AUCU2AOA1, applicable to Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphones (SM-G900A)
The latest update, though not major, certainly indicates an impending Android 5.0 (Lollipop) rollout for AT&T-driven Galaxy S5 devices in US.
Enhancements brought along by Android 4.4.4 KitKat for Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphones:
- HD Voice Capability: Lets users indulge in high-definition voice calling. To experience HD Voice, both parties on the call must be located in an AT&T HD Voice coverage area. They must also have an AT&T HD Voice-capable device and SIM with an area code based in a HD Voice coverage area, besides having HD Voice set up on their AT&T account.
- AT&T hints at limited availability of the HTD Voice-Calling feature at this point in time.
- AT&T Mail feature added
- AT&T Live functionality added
- Uber integration
- Remote support provided
Along with the above new features, Samsung Galaxy S5 users can also expect the conventional stability/performance enhancements and bug fixes, with the latest Android 4.4.4 KitKat OS update.
Android 4.4.4 KitKat will be available via OTA, but you can also initiate a manual search for the update as follows:
- Drag down the notification bar and tap Settings.
- Scroll to the 'System' category, and select About device.
- Tap Software update.
- Select Check for updates.
- A message is displayed: "Software update process will not delete any personal data on your phone. Check the AT&T server for new software update?"
- Choose OK.
- A status message displays:
- "Checking for update; Processing & The download for the software update will begin in a moment. The software download may take several minutes.
- Software update: A software update is available for your device that requires Wi-Fi connectivity for download progress to begin. Connect to a Wi-Fi network? For a list of free Wi-Fi networks click here AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spots.
- Tap Continue or remind me later.
- The phone displays a message stating: "A new software update from AT&T is available for our device. This download will occur over Wi-Fi. Please make sure that you stay within the Wi-Fi coverage area while the download takes place. This could take several minutes".
- Tap Continue.
- Tap Done
How to verify latest update build
- Drag down the notification bar, and tap the Settings icon.
- Scroll to the "System" category, and tap About device.
- The following information displays:
- Android version: 4.4.4
- Baseband version: G900AUCU2AOA1
- Kernel version: 3.4.0-3116194
- Build number: KTU84P.G900AUCU2AOA1
Prior to the latest rollout, Samsung Galaxy S5 ran on the now legacy Android 4.4.2 KitKat operating platform.