Tottenham Hotspur captain Hugo Lloris has revealed Mauricio Pochettino convinced him to continue at White Hart Lane after the Argentine manager took charge of the club in 2014. The 44-year-old moved to the north London club after impressing at Southampton.
The France international was considering his future after Tottenham allowed Andre Villas-Boas leave in December 2013 and he was replaced by Tim Sherwood, who was then relieved from his duties after the end of the 2013/14 season. After Pochettino's arrival, the 29-year-old held talks with the manager and that convinced him to continue with his current employers.
"I had some concerns and questioned myself two years ago, after AVB and [Tim] Sherwood had been in charge, but the first meeting with Mauricio Pochettino was very clear for me and my future," Lloris said, as quoted by Goal.com.
"I trusted him from the first second I met him. I really understand what he wants, and fully agree with his football views. We have the same football view."
Tottenham face West Bromwich Albion in the league clash at White Hart Lane on 25 April (Monday). With four games remaining in this season, Pochettino's side are chasing for the title as they sit second in the table with 68 points from 34 matches, trailing league leaders Leicester City by eight points, who have played a game more than Spurs. Loris believes Tottenham can be a regular title contender.
"We can feel we are improving step by step. We are focused on this season but we have to think about next season as well because we want to be consistent challengers for years. It's not about one good season, it's about being consistent," he told Sky Sports.
"To play Champions League football would be a good step for the club, the players and the fans, and in the next few years the new stadium will be coming, so it's all positive for Spurs."