The SlimSaber ROM, an unofficial build of SlimKat, is now available for the first generation Galaxy Note (GT-N7000), which runs the older Jelly Bean version. The SlimSaber build is compiled using the SaberMod toolchain and it is like the official version. The build is derived from the SlimROMs github.
Senior XDA member, fusionjack, has shared the latest custom build of SlimSaber ROM for Galaxy Note and claims to have tested the ROM and the kernel. The member also marks the build as a stable custom firmware to flash on the Note. Head over to the development thread to know the features of the latest SlimSaber build.
SlimSaber ROM features
- Compiled with a custom toolchain Sabermod for more performance and better battery life
- Compiled with the most GCC optimisation level - O3
- Compiled with strict-aliasing compiler optimisation
- Added patches to fix GCC strict-aliasing violation rules
- Added ARMv7 and Cortex-A9 optimised string handling routines for more smoothness and more memory optimisation
- Added some AOSP fixes and improvements
- Added some VanirAOSP fixes and improvements
- Disabled SQLite fsync to increase I/O performance
Those who wish to upgrade their older Galaxy Note with SlimSaber ROM based on Android 4.4.4, may follow the installation guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Before following the installation guide, users are advised to verify that their devices meet the following requirements.
- Install USB Drivers for Galaxy Note to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone>> tap Build number seven times. A pop up will appear, that reads, 'You are now a developer.' Go back to the Developer options and check USB debugging and click OK.]
- As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device has any custom recovery such as ClockworkMod or TWRP then backup data using the same.
- If the Android phone powers off due to lack of battery during the process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy Note should have above 80% battery charge.
- The phone should be rooted and have the latest version of ClockworkMod recovery.
- SlimSaber Android 4.4.4 ROM works only with Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000. As applying this to any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy Note by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
- After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on booting animation or experience boot loop then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache for a few times before rebooting the device.
- Once the ROM is installed, users are advised to give 10 minutes to the ROM after the device boots up for the first time for better user experience.
How to install SlimSaber ROM featuring Android 4.4.4 on Galaxy Note N7000
Step-1: Connect and mount Galaxy Note USB memory on the computer using USB cable. Now copy the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the phone. Ensure the files are in the SD card root, not in any folder
Step-2: Unplug the USB cable from the phone and switch it off
Step-3: Boot the phone into CWM recovery mode. To do this, turn the phone on while pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together
Step-4: In recovery mode, perform a full data wipe by selecting wipe data/ factory reset. Use the Power button to select while in Recovery Mode
Step-5: Perform a cache wipe by selecting wipe cache partition
Step-6: Perform a wipe of dalvik cache. This is optional but users are recommended to do this, so that the device will not get into boot loops or any other errors. From CWM recovery, go to advanced then select wipe dalvik cache
Step-7: Return to the main recovery menu and select install zip from sdcard
Step-8: Select choose zip from sdcard. Using the Volume keys navigate to Android 4.4.4 ROM zip, which was earlier copied to the Phone's SD card. Select it using the Power button and confirm installation on the next screen
Step-9: Once the ROM is installed, repeat the similar procedure to flash Slim Gapps package
Step-10: When the installation process is completed, go to +++++Go Back +++++ and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. The Galaxy Note will boot now and it might take about five minutes to boot for the first time. Until then do not press any button
After the boot up, the Galaxy Note N7000 should be updated with SlimSaber Android 4.4.4 custom ROM.
[Source: Team Android]