Khiry Ford
Father-of-one Khiry Ford was murdered by gang member twins Charles and Deo Tamale in Edmonton Metropolitan Police

Nineteen year-old twin brothers Charles and Deo Tamale have been convicted murdering Enfield father-of-one Khiry Ford, after he intervened in a robbery in November 2014. The Tamales were also convicted of conspiracy to rob and conspiracy to pervert the course of justice at the Old Bailey.

A third man, 18-year-old Ata Hansen of Church Street, Enfield, was found guilty of manslaughter and conspiracy to rob. All three are due to be sentenced on Thursday, 3 December.

Ford, 23, was from Tottenham and had been at a party to celebrate his female cousin's 18th birthday. The party began on the evening of 29 November 2014 and continued into the early hours of the following morning.

At around 3am on 30 November 2014 a group of around 12 men – who had also been at the party – robbed four young men in Haselbury Road, Edmonton. The victims of the robbery were not known to any of the defendants. Ford tried to prevent the robbery. He was stabbed in the chest by one of the robbers.

Police and the London Ambulance Service were called to the scene and officers provided initial first aid until paramedics arrived. Ford died in an ambulance on his way to hospital. A post-mortem examination at Haringey Mortuary gave the cause of death as a single stab wound.

In a statement, Ford's family said: "Khiry was a quiet, humble young man who loved God, loved his life and loved his family. He had dreams and aspirations; he was in the second year of a business course and loved sport. We miss Khiry and still can't accept he is dead. We hope people will not just see Khiry as another statistic of another senseless killing."

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Lawson, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: "This was an unprovoked attack on a young man who dared to stand up to the defendants who had just robbed four young men. The defendants have revelled in their gang status and whilst on remand and during this trial have been prepared to threaten numerous witnesses not to give evidence. Even now they have shown no remorse for what they have done and these verdicts send a message that violent gangs will not be tolerated on the streets of London."

Two other men. Jeffery Kessie, 21, of Elderberry Drive, Nuneaton and Aaron Burrell, 20, of Lacey Close, Enfield were both acquitted.