A boy, 12, from Powys in Wales, died on Friday after a goalpost fell on him during a game of football with his friends.

Casey Breese, who attended Newtown High School, was playing with local school boys at a nearby recreation ground, also home to the local football team, in Caersws when he was knocked unconscious by the heavy metal pole, said Dyfed-Powys Police.

Ambulance staff treated Casey at the scene before flying him to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Friendship quotes

Tributes to Casey adorn a Facebook page, while flowers and a football shirt have been left at the site of the incident.

One relative wrote: "Sadly my little cousin has been taken away from us all today, much loved by everyone in village, always willing to help anyone, and had a lovely smile on his face at all times.

"Casey my love you will never be forgotten and will be hugely missed by us all. Rest in peace my little man. God bless, lots of love X x x."

Another said: "Life and soul of the village, and you shine like a star, stay with us Casey. See you again some day."

A pre-season friendly between Caersws FC and Carmarthen town, due to be played on Saturday afternoon, was called off out of respect.

Peter Harding, Caersws FC chairman, said: "Our thoughts are with the family and his friends and it is a tragedy for the village."

An official family tribute is expected later today. A police liaison officer is currently supporting the family. The police investigation into the incident in on-going.

Rachel Davies, a village community councillor, said: "I know them [the family] well and they are reeling from the shock. They are a family who are among the grassroots of the community and he was a very popular boy."

Detective Inspector Ian Andrews, said: "Our condolences go to the family who have suffered this terrible loss and we would ask that the media respect their privacy."

He added: "In addition, we would ask any member of the public who witnessed the incident to come forward as their information may help the investigation."

Police said they are working with Powys Council Environmental Health Department. The goalpost has been removed and the area sealed off by police.