Samsung has released the Android Lollipop update for Galaxy A series devices starting with the budget smartphone Galaxy A3, that has the full metal unibody design.
Bearing build number A300FXXU1BOD5 and based on Android 5.0.2, the update is currently live for users in Russia who have the unlocked Galaxy A3 model.
The Lollipop update on Galaxy A3 brings the same UI as that on the Galaxy S5 and other Galaxy devices, which have been upgraded to the latest Android software. That includes, the material design based UX. Apart from this there are some new Samsung apps like the phone dialer, and messages now have a more colourful interface.
The heads-up notification, improved battery life and performance are other noteworthy changes the Galaxy A3 is eligible for.
At present, it is not known if Samsung has released the OTA. But you can download the stock Lollipop build on your Galaxy A3 using our step-by-step guide below, if you cannot wait for the OTA notification.
- Model: SM-A300F
- Model name: Galaxy A3
- Country: Russia
- Version: Android 5.0.2 Lollipop
- Changelist; 512684
- Build date: 15 April
- Product code: SER
- PDA: A300FXXU1BOD5
- CSC: A300FOXY1BOD5
- Ensure that you have installed proper USB drivers for Galaxy A3 on the computer.
- Create a backup of all important data of the phone using custom recovery, before following the installation guide.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> Developer Options>> check the USB Debugging option.]
- Ensure your Galaxy A3 has 80% battery. The device might shut down during the process due to lack of battery, which in turn could brick the device.
- You should have an unlocked Galaxy A3 SM-A300F model.
- The phone will lose custom ROM once the stock update is installed. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
- The phone will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
- The Lollipop stock firmware build A300FXXU1BOD5 works with Galaxy Note 4 only. As flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number and then install firmware based on the model number.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
How to install Android 5.0.2 Lollipop A300FXXU1BOD5 stock firmware on Galaxy A3 SM-A300F
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using any extracting tool
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v.3.09.exe with a few other files
Step-3: Switch off your Galaxy A3
Step-4: Enter into Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down buttons together
Note: Ensure that you have installed proper USB drivers installed on your PC.
Step-5: Launch Odin as administrator on the computer. Click on the Odin tool then right-click and select Run as Administrator from the drop down menu
Step-6: Connect the A3 to the PC using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with the COM port number. This step might take some time
Step-7: In Odin, click AP tab and select the firmware files extracted in step-1 in an orderly manner
Step-8: Enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin. Also, the Re-Partition checkbox should be unchecked
Step-9: Double check everything and click the Start button in Odin
Step-10: The installation should start now. It would take a few minutes to complete the installation. Once the process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. When you see the home screen on the phone, unplug the USB cable from the phone safely
You may now check the new Android Lollipop version on Galaxy A3 from Settings>> About phone.