T-Mobile has just started rolling out the latest Android 5.1 OTA update with build LMY47M for Nexus 6 users in the US. The new Lollipop build can now be downloaded manually, with due credit to XDA Developers senior member nxt, who has recently uploaded the firmware on XDA forums.
Nexus 6 owners who cannot wait for the official OTA release in their country and those who cannot install the update due to modded firmware can try installing the same manually, using the step-by-step guide provided below.
- Back up important data and settings on your Nexus 6 via recovery mode.
- Ensure that your Nexus phone has above 80% battery charge.
- The bootloader of the device should be unlocked and also disable all security lock including pattern lock, pin, etc.
- The Android 5.1 OTA update is only for said Nexus devices. Installing the firmware on any incorrect variant could brick the device. Therefore verify the model number of the device before installing OTA update.
- This is stock Android 5.1 build LMY47M released by T-Mobile, not leaked firmware.
- Your Nexus 6 should be running Android 5.0.1 LRX22C Lollipop stock firmware.
Steps to update T-Mobile Nexus 6 to Android 5.1 Lollipop via OTA
Step 1: Download the necessary files from the links above to your PC.
Step 2: Create a new folder called n6ota51 on the computer.
Step 3: Now extract the adb and fastboot files to the newly created folder, n6ota51.
Step 4: Extract the shamu-lrx22c-factory-ff173fc6.tgz file and transfer all the files from it to the folder n6ota51.
Step 5: Boot the Nexus 6 into bootloader mode or recovery mode by entering the following command: adb reboot bootloader
Or hold Power and Volume Down buttons together while your Nexus phone is turned off.
Step 6: Open the n6ota51 folder, and left click on empty space inside the folder. Then hold Shift key, right-click on empty space and then choose Open command window here option. This will open up command prompt with location set as n6ota51, where the fastboot and adb files are located along with the extracted Android 5.0.1 files and the OTA update.
Step 7: Type adb devices and then hit enter key. You should see a serial number written, with the text device right to it. If not, it means the USB drivers for the Nexus 6 aren't installed or not working properly on your PC.
Step 8: If you see the serial no., then go ahead and type fastboot reboot bootloader and then hit enter key. Wait until the device reboots to bootloader mode, where you can use fastboot commands. These commands can be used to flash Android 5.0.1 on your Nexus 6.
Step 9: Flash the Android 5.0.1 build LRX22C usingthe commands below and hit enter key after each command:
- fastboot flash boot boot.img
- fastboot flash cache cache.img
- fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- fastboot flash radio radio.img
- fastboot flash system system.img
Now without closing the command window, proceed to the next step.
Step 10: Reboot to recovery by restarting the bootloader. Type fastboot reboot bootloader and hit enter key. Once you enter bootloader mode, use volume buttons to scroll to recovery option, and then select it using the Power button to boot into recovery mode.
Step 11: Use volume buttons to browse between options and then browse and select the option, apply update from ADB.
Step 12: [Optional] Just rename the OTA update file to ota-tmo-n6-51.zip
Step 13: Type adb sideload ota-tmo-n6-51.zip, and then hit enter key; Or if you didn't rename the OTA update file, then type adb sideload 9504426dab3969b9b7da4e825ed91d4fc496cb25.signed-shamu-ota-LMY47M-from-LRX22C-fullradio.zip and then enter key. Now the OTA update file will be copied to your Nexus 6 and then installed automatically. Once the installation process completes, restart the device using reboot system now.
That is it. Your Nexus 6 is now running the latest Android 5.1 Lollipop build LMY47M with OTA firmware.
[Source: The Android Soul]