Arsenal's hopes of keeping captain Robin van Persie at the Emirates were dealt a fresh blow Wednesday with reports that Real Madrid are considering a £30m bid for the striker.
The Dutch international has been the subject of increased speculation in recent weeks, with Arsene Wenger eager for the striker to follow team-mate Thomas Vermaelen and sign a new long-term contract at the Emirates.
However, van Persie - whose current deal expires in 2013 - has refused to directly address the issue of his current contract.
"I want to put the record straight, I am committed, and I will show that on the pitch," said van Persie. "This is my eighth year. If you can say of one player that he's committed, it's me."
But the 28-year-old is understood to be reluctant to commit to a new contract until the end of the season, when the club's progress can be reviewed.
Reports Wednesday morning suggest Real Madrid are closely monitoring van Persie's situation at Arsenal with a view to a potential transfer next summer.
Manager Jose Mourinho is eager to bolster his strike force with a genuine goal scorer, rather than rely on Cristiano Ronaldo and van Persie, who has hit 45 goals in his last 67 Premier League outings, appears to fit the bill perfectly.
Wenger has previously admitted he will consider bringing in new players in January should his side's current slump continue.
Asked if he intended to spend more money in January Wenger, whose side have lost four of their opening eight Premier League games, said:
"At the moment I would say no, but it depends first of all who is on the market and it depends secondly on how well we do between now and December.
"If we have good results the players and the players have developed well, then numbers-wise we have a big squad."
Wenger is still keen on bringing a new central midfielder to the club, with French-based duo Yoan Gourcuff and Yann M'Villa under consideration, in addition to Borussia Dortmund's Mario Gotze.
The uncertainty surrounding van Persie's future means the Arsenal manager is also keen to bolster his forward line, with Lille's Eden Hazard and Porto's Hulk linked with the club in recent days.
Following the departures of Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri, the 61-year-old has admitted he tried to sign Lucho Gonzalez in the summer but Marseille refused to allow the playmaker to leave.
"Lucho was a player I liked," said Wenger. "They didn't want to give him out on loan. We didn't go as far as discussing a permanent move."
Meanwhile, Wenger could be handed a fresh headache in January after reports in Italy suggest Theo Walcott is on the verge of a move to Juventus.
According to Italian newspaper Corriere dello Sport, Juventus have been in contact with Walcott's agent over a move for the 22-year-old with negotiations reported to be underway.
Walcott's agent, Colin Gordon, remained tight-lipped on the rumours, saying: "We'll see. I don't know what will happen."