An unofficial build of CynogenMod 14 (CM14) is now available for Xiaomi's Redmi 1S. The smartphone is currently enjoying official support for MIUI 8 that was rolled out to eligible Xiaomi devices in August.
Apart from the customisations that come as built-in features in CyanogenMod, the beta build brings Android 7.0 Nougat for Redmi 1S. Most of the features such as boots, call, SMS, data, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, video playback, audio, sensors, LED and GPS are working in this ROM, except for the camera. But it is expected to get a fix soon.
Below are a few of the changes you should notice upon installation of unofficial CM14 ROM.
- Synced with latest CM upstream
- Reverted all dirty paths to make N boot
- Enabled Hardware Decoding
- Updated Selinux rules
- Upstream patches for RIL (no dirty patches now)
- Many Upstream Fixes
Coming to the installation part, it is recommended to use TWRP recovery if you want to flash this Android Nougat beta ROM on your Redmi 1S.
You can install the ROM following the usual procedure what you do for any other custom build. For detailed instructions check out the guide below.
- Download CM14 ROM and Gapps
- Connect the Redmi phone to the PC and copy the downloaded files to the internal storage of the phone
- Disconnect the phone and put into recovery mode by pressing Volume Up and Power buttons together
- In TWRP recovery create a backup
- Flash the ROM and Gapps
- After the installation is complete, just reboot the phone
If you want to revert to the previous firmware version; In the recovery mode, perform Wipe, cache, system and data.
Then flash the ROM and reboot in the end. Head over to the XDA development thread to know more about the CM14 beta ROM.