Galaxy Note 4 (N910F) users in Europe are in for some good news, as the industrious CyanogenMod team has unleashed its first Android 5.0.2 Lollipop custom ROM for the handset via CyanogenMod 12 Nightly build.
Those who have already received the stock Lollipop update from Samsung could try savouring the AOSP-flavoured Lollipop treat with CM12 Nightly ROM on their European device, which brings loads of goodies in a compact 257MB package.
If you are among the unlucky few who have not yet received the stock Lollipop update, then you could still relish the latest Android flavour, using the step-by-step guide provided below to install the CM12 Nightly ROM.
IBTimes UK reminds readers it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after Android 5.0.2 Lolliop firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for the European variant of Galaxy Note 4 with model number N910F only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure the phone has at at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy Note 4 USB drivers).
- Enable USB Debugging mode via Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or above) or Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Ensure that the device is rooted with CWM recovery installed and its bootloader is unlocked.
Steps to Install official CyanogenMod 12 Android 5.0.2 ROM on Galaxy Note 4 N910F
Step 1 - Download CyanogenMod 12 Android 5.0.2 custom ROM for Galaxy Note 4 on the computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer with USB cable.
Step 3 - Now, copy the downloaded CyanogenMod 12 ROM zip file to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Boot the device into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home andPower buttons together.
Step 6 - Once the phone enters CWM Recovery, perform a full data wipe task by clicking Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Use the Volumekeys to navigate between options and Power button to select an option in the Recovery Mode.
Step 7 - Perform Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes.
Step 8 - Perform Wipe Dalvik Cache as well. To do this, go to 'advanced'option and then click Wipe Dalvik Cache. This will help in preventing boot loop issues or any boot ROM related errors during firmware installation.
Step 9 - Then return to the main recovery menu and choose Install Zip from SD card.
Step 10 - Click Choose Zip from SD card. Use volume keys to navigate to the CM12 ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and choose it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation process will begin.
Note: Repeat Step 9 and Step 10 to install Google Apps (Gapps) as well.
Step 11 - Once the ROM and Gapps installation completes, go to "+++++Go Back+++++" and select Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu.
The phone will now reboot and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, please be patient.
Your Galaxy Note 4 N910F is now running the latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop via CM12 custom ROM. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.