Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800 has recently received its latest Jelly Bean update from Samsung via Android 4.1.2 DXMD3 official firmware. The firmware is presently available in several countries as an Over-The-Air (OTA) update as well as through Samsung KIES. However, those who missed the OTA update notification and users who cannot wait for the official release can follow our step-by-step guide to download and install the same manually.
Android 4.1.2 DXMD3 Firmware Details
Version: Android 4.1.2
Built date: April, 2013
Regions: Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand
Key Points to Note
- The Android 4.1.2 DXMD3 official firmware and the instructions provided in this guide are limited for the Galaxy Tab 2 7.7 P6800 model only. Attempting to install this firmware on incompatible devices may inadvertently brick or damage the device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Tablet.
- Back up important data and settings on the tablet including contacts, messages, MMS, photos, videos, APNs and other internet settings to avoid data loss while performing necessary data wiping tasks during or after firmware installation.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the tablet on computer (download Galaxy Tab 2 7.7 P6800 USB drivers)
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the tablet by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Ensure the tablet has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Make sure the tablet is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) before proceeding.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only.IBTimes UK will not be held liable if device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
Here is the step-by-steo guide to install Android 4.1.2 DXMD3 Jelly Bean firmware on Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800, courtesy of Honai of Android:
Steps to Install Android 4.1.2 DXMD3 Jelly Bean Firmware on Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800
Step 1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip file to get a .tar.md5 file and some other files.
Step 2: Extract Odin zip file to obtain Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
Step 3: Power off the tablet and wait for vibration (about 5 to 6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown.
Step 4: Boot the device into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons together. Wait until a "Warning!" message appears, then hit Volume Down button to progress into Download Mode.
Step 5: Launch Odin on computer as an Administrator, as admin privileges are required to complete the installation process smoothly.
Step 6: Connect the tablet to computer via USB cable while it is still in Download Mode. Wait until Odin detects the device. When the device connects successfully, the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the corresponding COM port number.
Step 7: Choose the following files in Odin from extracted P6800DXMD3 firmware folder by using respective checkboxes:
- Select the PDA checkbox, and choose the file named '.tar' or '.md5'.
- Click the Phone checkbox, and choose the file with 'modem' in its name (ignore if there is no such file)
- Choose the CSC checkbox, and select the file with 'CSC' in its name (ignore if such file is missing)
- Choose the PIT checkbox, and choose the .pit file. Use only the file obtained during extraction in step 1, otherwise ignore it.
Step 8: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting the checkboxes. But the Re-Partition checkbox should be selected, only if a .pit file was chosen in the previous step.
Step 9: Verify everything in Step 7 and Step 8 is done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin the flashing process.
Step 10: Once the firmware flashing is complete, your tablet will reboot and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now unplug the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800 is now updated with official Android 4.1.2 DXMD3 Jelly Bean firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
Note: If the device is stuck at boot animation after Step 10 then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset and Wipe Cache Partition before choosing Reboot System Now. Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery. Please note that performing data wiping task will only erase the phone's internal memory and not external SD card data.
Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800 users who have already updated their device to the latest Android 4.1.2 DXMD3 Jelly Bean official firmware can now root their devices using the tutorial below:
Here is the step-by-steo guide to install CWM recovery and root Android 4.1.2 DXMD3 Jelly Bean firmware on Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800, courtesy of Honai of Android:
Steps to Install CWM Recovery on Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800
Step 1: Extract Odin3_v3.07.rar file using winrar, 7zip, winzip or any other extracting tool.
Step 2: Copy UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.25.zip file to external SD card of tablet.
Step 3: Power off the tablet and boot it into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons together. When a warning message appears on screen, hit Volume Down button to progress into Download Mode.
Step 4: Launch Odin on computer as an Administrator, as admin privileges are required to complete the installation process smoothly.
Step 5: Connect the tablet to the computer via USB cable while the device is still in Download Mode. A message reading "Added!" appears in Odin's message box at the bottom left. At this point, the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the
corresponding COM port number.
Step 6: In Odin, click the PDA checkbox and select the cwm-18.104.22.168-p6800.tar file. But, ensure the Re-Partition option in Odin is not selected.
Step 7: Double-check step 6 is done correctly and then click Start in Odin. The installation process will now begin.
Step 8: Once the firmware installation is complete, the tablet will reboot automatically. Finally, when the home screen appears, unplug USB cable from tablet to disconnect it from computer.
Steps to root Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800 by Installing SuperSU via CWM Recovery
Step 9: Reboot the Galaxy Tab 7.7 into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Power buttons together.
Step 10: Now choose Install Zip from SD card and then click Choose Zip from external SD card. Now navigate to the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.25.zip file and select it. Confirm the root installation by choosing Yes on next screen.
Step 11: Once the root installation process is complete, return to main recovery menu and hit Reboot System Now.
Your Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800 is now rooted on Android 4.1.2 DXMD3 Jelly Bean official firmware. You can download and install root checker app from Google Play Store to confirm root access on the device.