Sony has just started rolling out its first Developer Preview release for Android M on Xperia Z2 Tablet (Wi-Fi and LTE) and Xperia M2 smartphone via developer's binaries code that has been compiled to create the FreeXperia ROM.
The FreeXperia ROM allows users with supported devices to install Android M Developer Preview just like any another custom ROM.
Although it is not mandatory, it is recommended that you ensure that your phone is rooted and custom recovery installed, before you proceed with the installation of this ROM.
NOTE: As this is not a final build, you must note that your Android device can get FC errors, boot loops, several other bugs or apps might not work, and in the worst case, your phone might not boot. To fix this, you will have to reinstall stock firmware or any other stable custom ROM.
Interested users can go ahead and install the latest Android M Developer Preview custom firmware on their smartphone via FreeXperia ROM using the step-by-step guide provided below.
IBTimes UK reminds readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to their device during or after the custom ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for international variants of Xperia Z2 Tablet (Wi-Fi and LTE) and Xperia M2 only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Tablet/Phone.
- Ensure the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the device are installed on the computer
- Enable USB Debugging mode via Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or above) or Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Ensure that the device is rooted with CWM recovery installed and its bootloader is unlocked.
Steps to Install Android M Developer Preview with FreeXperia ROM on Xperia Z2 tablet and Xperia M2
Step 1 - Download Android M Developer Preview FreeXperia ROM for your Xperia device on the computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer with the USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the downloaded FreeXperia ROM zip file to the root folder on the device's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the device and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Boot the device into Recovery Mode by pressing Volume up and Power buttons on your Xperia device.
Step 6 - Once the phone enters into CWM Recovery, perform afull data wipe task by clicking Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Use the Volumekeys to navigate between options and thePower button to select an option in the Recovery Mode.
Step 7 - Then, perform Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes.
Step 8 - Perform Wipe Dalvik Cache as well. To do this, go to the 'advanced'option and then click Wipe Dalvik Cache. This will help in preventing boot loop issues or any boot ROM related errors during firmware installation.
Step 9 - Return to the main recovery menu and choose Install Zip from SD card.
Step 10 - ClickChoose Zip from SD card. Use volume keys to navigate to the SlimLP ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and choose it by tapping the Powerbutton. Confirm the ROM installation on the next screen and the installation process will begin.
Note: Repeat Step 9 and Step 10 to install Google Apps (Gapps) as well.
Step 11 - Once both the Gapps and ROM are installed, go to "+++++Go Back+++++" and select Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu.
The phone will now reboot and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, please be patient.
Your Xperia device is now running the latest Android M Developer Preview via FreeXperia ROM. Go to Settings > About Tablet/phone to verify the firmware version installed.