A new stock build with base firmware I9300XXUGND1 is now available to download on the international version of Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300). Based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, the firmware is built on 31 March. It is currently available for the Galaxy S3 users in Hungary.
Model name: Galaxy S3
Version: Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
Build date: 31 March
Product Code: XEH
Those who are staying outside Hungary and failed to download the OTA update or, unable to access the firmware via Samsung Kies server for being region specific may follow step-by-step guide to install the stock firmware on Galaxy S3 manually.
As I9300XXUGND1 build is an unbranded version of firmware it can be installed on any GT-I9300 unit, irrespective of country and region.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Before flashing the stock firmware users are advised to verify their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S3 to connect the Android device with the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone. Tap on Build Number several times until a message appears saying 'You are now a Developer.' Now go to Settings>> Developer Options to enable USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP then backup data using the same.
4) If the Android phone powers off due to lack of battery while the installation process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy S3 should have charge above 80% battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
7) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
8) I9300XXUGND1 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean official firmware works only with Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy S3 by navigating to Settings>> About device>> Model number.
How to install I9300XXUGND1 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300)
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using any extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with few other files, which are optional
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v.3.09.exe with few other files
Step-3: Switch off Galaxy S3
Step-4: Place the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home buttons together then press the Power button until the construction Android robot and a triangle appears. Now press Power button to confirm to enter into Download Mode
Note: Ensure that you have installed Galaxy S3 USB Drivers installed on the computer.
Step-5: Run Odinas Administrator on the computer
Step-6: Connect the Galaxy S3 to computer using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with COM port number. This step might take some time
Step-7: Select these files to install on the phone. These files are extracted from I9300XXUGND1 firmware folder
a) Click on AP and select the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension
b) Click on CP and select file with MODEM in its name
c) Click on CSC and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click on PIT and select .pit file
Note: Ignore the last three steps if such files are not found.
Step-8: Enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin. Ensure Re-Partition checkbox is not checked
Step-9: Verify everything and click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and take a few minutes to complete
Step-10: When the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. Once the home screen appears on the phone, disconnect the phone from the computer
I9300XXUGND1 Android 4.3 stock firmware should now be installed on the Galaxy S3. Navigate to Settings>>About phone to verify the new firmware version running on the device.
How to fix bootloop issue
If the Galaxy S3 gets stuck at booting animation (after step-10), go to recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power and buttons together. Now perform Wipe data/Factory reset then Wipe Cache Partition. Once the action is completed, reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. In recovery mode, use Volume keys to scroll between options and Power button to select the desired option. Note that performing wiping task will erase the phone's internal memory data.
Those who wish to root their devices running Android 4.3 firmware may follow our step-by-step guide to root Galaxy S3 on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
[Source: Team Android]