Australian DJ Mel Greig leaves the High Court in London
Australian DJ Mel Greig leaves the High Court in London Reuters

Australian DJ Melanie Greig who took part in the hoax phone call to the Duchess of Cambridge when she was in hospital says she has received bullets in the post.

Greig worked for Sydney-based radio station 2Day FM when pretended she was the Queen during the call to the King Edward VII Hospital in London in 2012. During the call, private medical information about the pregnant Kate Middleton was disclosed.

The consequences of the hoax proved tragic as the nurse who took the call, Jacintha Saldanha, hanged herself three days later.

Speaking on Newsnight, Greig said she had received many death threats as well as harrassment and been stalked.

An anonymous caller threatened her mother to say an "eye for an eye, you deserve to die".

The DJ said: "I was in lockdown for months. There were bullets with our name on it sent to police stations.

"....Luckily I can handle it now, but there was a time when I could not handle it and I believed it."

Greig added: "I don't want to sit here and go 'poor me, it was terrible'". However, the DJ thought the trolling and death threats she experienced were "disgusting."

Speaking at the inquest into the nurse's death recently, Greig told Saldanha's family: "I really just wanted to say I am truly sorry, I've wanted to say that for so long.

"This tragedy will always stay with me and serve as a constant reminder.

"To the second nurse involved, I am so deeply sorry for what you have had to endure. I pray you have found the strength to live on as best you can.

"I was always concerned about the wellbeing of both nurses and I wish I'd tried harder to stop that prank from being aired."

She went on to urge hospitals and the media to learn from the incident and make sure it was not repeated.

She added: "To fellow announcers and DJs, I urge you to speak up if you don't feel comfortable and consider the feeling of others when trying to make a joke."

Greig resigned from her job at 2Day FM in 2013, and said there was a time when she "couldn't handle" the abuse.