Newcastle wantaway Moussa Sissoko says he would love to join Real Madrid. It follows recent reports that the Champions League winners have identified the Frenchman as an alternative to Paul Pogba, who signed for Manchester United rather than be swayed by their late bid. But Sissoko says he is still waiting for confirmation that he is on his way to the Bernabeu.
Manager Zinedine Zidane reportedly earmarked Pogba as a priority for the current transfer window as he looks to add some power to his talented midfield. However, Los Blancos lost out to Manchester United for the 23-year-old France and Juventus star amid suggestions that president Florentino Perez was hesitant to pay the world-record transfer.
The Telegraph reported in July that Zidane had identified his compatriot Sissoko as an alternative to Pogba following his impressive Euro 2016 with France. The report suggested Real Madrid were set to launch a bid as soon as United confirmed the Pogba deal.
The United announcement duly came on Tuesday (9 August), but Sissoko is still waiting to hear if Real Madrid intend to move forward with a bid for his services.
"I hope Real will come for me, I'm still waiting," Sissoko told BBC. "If Real Madrid are interested in you then of course you will be happy, but right now I am still a Newcastle player."
The Frenchman has previously insisted his future lies away from Rafa Benitez's side after the club were relegated to the Championship. Now, he added: "I spent three-and-a-half years here. I gave everything for this club and I want to play some big games. For that I need to go somewhere else.
"I want to play in the Premier League, I want to play for a big club who can get into the Champions League. That's why I said I want to leave this year. I've spent a lot of time here and now it's time to look forward. The fans need to understand my situation, I hope they will and that everything will be OK."
Benitez, meanwhile, also recently admitted that Newcastle are ready to let him go should a good offer arrive – having already signed Mohamed Diame from Hull to fill his gap.
The Guardian recently reported that while Real Madrid would be ready to include the loan of two promising starlets like Mariano Diaz and Marcos Llorente to sweeten the deal the Magpies want around £35m ($45.4m) to part ways with the player. However, Llorente has already been sent on loan to Alaves.