At least four people, including a toddler, are confirmed dead after a residential building collapsed in an eastern suburb of India's financial capital, Mumbai, on Tuesday (25 July). Around 30 people are feared trapped inside the debris and rescuers have begun a search for them.
Local officials told media that 11 people have been pulled out of the rubble so far and sent to a hospital in Ghatkopar, where the incident took place in the morning.
"The entire ground and four floored residential building collapsed," Prabhat Rahangdale, chief fire officer for Mumbai, told ANI news agency. "About 30 to 40 persons are suspected to be trapped. Until now 11 persons (have been) rescued and sent to hospital," he added.
The officer said that they received alerts about the building collapse at about 10.43am local time (6.13am BST).
The four-storeyed building also had a nursing home, but it was being renovated and thus, had no patients.
The casualties included a three-month-old infant, identified as V Renuka Lalit. The baby's body has been sent to the hospital where other injured have been admitted.
Police have cordoned off the area and are continuing with rescue and relief work. Hundreds of firemen and security personnel have been rushed to the site to assist in the rescue work.