OnePlus One users are in for some exciting news as the first Android 6.0 Marshmallow-based custom firmware is now available via AOSP ROM. Although this is an experimental build based on CyanogenMod 12.1 (CM12.1) Kernel, it is said to be highly-stable unlike other untested builds.
The installation of this ROM requires any custom recovery tool like TWRP or CWM to be pre-installed on the phone. Interested users may go ahead and install the latest Android 6.0 AOSParadox Project 1.0 ROM on OnePlus One, using the step-by-step guide provided below. IBTimes UK will not be responsible for any damage to the device during or after the firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for OnePlus One only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download OnePlus One USB drivers).
- Enable USB Debugging mode via Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 5.0 or above) or Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Ensure that the device is rooted with CWM recovery installed and its bootloader is unlocked.
Steps to install Android 6.0 AOSParadox ROM on OnePlus One
Step 1 - Download Android 6.0 AOSParadox ROM for OnePlus One on the computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer with USB cable.
Step 3 - Now, copy the downloaded AOSP ROM zip file to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from the computer.
Step 5 - Boot the device into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons together.
Step 6 - Once the phone enters TWRP Recovery, perform a full data wipe task by clicking Wipe button. Then swipe on the Swipe to Factory Reset option at the bottom.
Step 7 - Then return to the main recovery menu and tap on the Install button. Choose the zip file that you coped earlier to your phone's SD card from the list.
Step 8 – Confirm the installation on next screen by swiping on the 'Swipe to Confirm Flash' option and the firmware installation should begin.
Step 9 - Once the ROM installation completes, tap on Wipe Cache/Dalvik button to prevent boot loop issues. Finally, tap on Reboot System button in the Recovery menu.
The phone will now reboot and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, please be patient.
Your OnePlus One is now running the latest Android 6.0 Marshmallow via AOSP custom ROM. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.