The CyanogenMod 11 (CM11) custom build is now available for Sony Xperia L using which the device can be upgraded to the latest version of KitKat, Android 4.4.2.
The CyanogenMod is based on Android Open Source Project (AOSP) along with extra contribution from the Android community. The CM build can be used without installing any Google application.
Senior XDA developer, jerpelea, has successfully ported the CM11 custom firmware to Xperia L. Except for some minor issue with GPS, all other features are working fine in the port. Head over to the development thread to know more about CM11 release for Xperia L.
What Features Are Working
RIL (Calls, SMS, Mobile Data)
Audio and video playback
Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi tethering
Bluetooth and Bluetooth tethering
Hardware video decoding (including 1080p) and encoding
Xperia L users, who wish to install Android 4.4.2 on their devices using CM11, may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Before following the installation method, users are advised to verify their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Xperia L to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone. Tap on Build Number several times until a message appears saying 'You are now a Developer.' Now enable USB Debugging Mode by navigating to Settings>> Developer Options.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create backup. If the device is having any custom recovery such as ClockworkMod or, TWRP then backup data using the same.
4) If the Android phone powers off due to lack of battery during the process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Xperia L should have charge above 80% battery charge.
5) The phone should be unlocked, rooted and have latest version of ClockworkMod recovery.
6) Android 4.4.2 KitKat CM11 ROM works only with Xperia L. As applying this to any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Xperia L by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
7) After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on Booting animation or experience boot loop then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache for a few times before rebooting the device.
8) Once the ROM is installed, users are advised to give 10 minutes to the ROM after the device boots up for the first time for better user experience.
How to install Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Xperia L with CM11 ROM
Step-1: Connect the Xperia L to the computer using USB cable. Move the downloaded zip files to the phones' SD card. Do not unzip the files
Step-2: Disconnect the phone from the computer
Step-3: Switch off the phone. Now boot the device into recovery mode. For this power on the device and when the phone's LED notification light turn pink, start pressing Volume Up or, Volume Down button for a few more time to boot the phone into recovery mode
Note: In recovery mode use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power button to select the desired option.
Step-4: In recovery mode, you should wipe the system by selecting wipe data/factory reset the wipe cache partition
Step-5: Select advanced and wipe dalvik cache. After the process is completed, return to the main recovery menu
Step-6: Select install zip from sdcard then choose zip from sdcard. Now using the Volume keys navigate to CM11 ROM, which was earlier copied to the SD card. Select and confirm installation on the next screen
Step-7: After the ROM is installed, repeat the same procedure to flash Gapps file
Step-8: When the installation process is completed, return to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the phone
The Xperia L should now be successfully updated with CM11 custom ROM featuring Android 4.4.2 KitKat. Head over to Settings>> About phone to verify the new software of the smartphone.
[Source: Android Geeks]