Brad Pitt has broken his silence on his shock split from Angelina Jolie. Addressing the recent upheaval in his personal life caused by his marriage woes he said that he was grateful for the support he had received in recent weeks.

Fans of Brangelina were left stunned when news broke that Jolie had filed documents citing irreconcilable differences and was seeking physical custody of the couple's six children: Maddox , Pax , Zahara , Shiloh , and twins Knox and Vivienne. At the time her lawyers claimed the split was "for the health of the family" but Pitt released a statement saying he is "saddened" by her decision to end their marriage after just two years. The couple had been together since 2004.

On Wednesday evening (9 November) the Troy star attended the Los Angeles premiere of his World War Two drama Allied with co-star Marion Cotillard.

It was the 52-year-old's first red carpet since the end of his marriage. He skipped the premiere for Terrence Malick's epic documentary Voyage of Time in late September.

For the occasion he spotted a black suit and white shirt and went without a tie and his wedding ring. He was snapped signing autographs for fans and posing for pictures.

Speaking to E! News he said: "It's really sweet, everyone has been really kind out here. It's really nice to have all the support."

His appearance came just hours after TMZ reported that the star was cleared of the alleged child abuse claims by the Department Of Children And Family Services over an alleged incident in which he was allegedly seen "ranting" in front of the six children he shares with estranged Jolie after exiting a private jet.

Earlier this week a rep confirmed in a statement that the couple have reached a legal agreement about the custody of their six children, suggesting their divorce is one step closer to being finalised. "We are not in a position to discuss the details. We hope now that it is clear that the events which led to the dissolution filing involved minor children and their wellbeing," reported People.