Police have released CCTV footage in a bid to trace a person wanted in connection with the murder of a homeless man in Birmingham.

Richard Williams, 58, was found with head injuries at a bus stop near City Hospital in the early hours of 30 December. He was taken to the hospital but died soon afterwards.

He is understood to have been waiting at the bus stop when he was "ferociously attacked". A post-mortem examination revealed that he died of severe head injuries.

It is claimed that a man was seen fleeing the scene following the suspected attack, running across Dudley Road into Heath Street, towards Winson Green Road. The man is described as aged between 30 and 50, white, up to 6ft tall and of a stocky build.

He was wearing a dark bomber jacket, with a lighter beanie style hat and light trousers.

"We are keen to trace the man featured in the footage, who we believe has crucial information on the investigation," said senior investigating officer Detective Inspector Wayne Jones.

"Richard was sat at the bus stop, possibly asleep, when he was ferociously attacked, receiving several blows to his head. He was a homeless man who had fallen on hard times, although his family were always very supportive of him and are devastated by the loss of their brother.

"The motive for this attack is not known and we are trying to piece together the circumstances leading up to the attack. CCTV examination from the area will continue together with house-to-house inquiries."

Richard's sister, Elaine Shipway, appealed for witnesses to come forward.

"The latter part of my brother's life, because of his alcohol addiction, he spent homeless. He was a quiet, gentle man when he was not drinking and had never hurt anyone physically in his entire life - even when he was drinking.

"He was well known and had friends in the area when he was homeless. He didn't deserve to have his life ended in this violent way. Please come forward if you know anything to help the police catch his killer."

Anyone with information on the case can contact West Midlands Police on 101, quoting Operation Lorian.