Kevin Phillips scored the only goal in a tense meeting between Crystal Palace and Watford in the Championship play-off final on Monday, taking Palace through to the Premier League after both sides played it safe over 120 minutes.

The first half saw a lot of nerves from both sides in the game that could gift the winners £120 million if they secure promotion to the Premier League.

Wilfried Zaha was a standout for Palace, while Watford's Matej Vydra came up short, struggling with what looked like an injury towards the end of the half which would be a massive blow for the side.

Wilfried Zaha
Wilfried Zaha was one of the few standout players in the first half for Crystal Palace.

But despite Zaha's performances, and Watford attempting to get back into the game with some top-class team work, neither side had a decent shot on goal, leaving them both with a lot to do in the second half.

And to begin with, it looked that the game would continue without chances as the last 45 minutes began, with Palace and Watford well aware of exactly how much was at stake and pained to take a risk because of it.

As the match moved into the last 25 minutes, Zaha made a brilliant pass to Stuart O'Keefe, but Manuel Almunia was able to get a kick to the ball before it crossed the line. And just minutes later, Aaron Wilbraham exposed Watford's defensive line-up, but Almunia was the hero for his side again.

39 year old striker Kevin Phillips came onto the pitch as a sub in the 65th minute to a roar of support from the Palace fans, and the momentum looked to have shifted the side's way as they dominated the attacking play and the match began to open up.

Wilbraham would continue to bring in the chances for Palace, but after three saves stopped him scoring, the striker was left frustrated. Meanwhile, for Watford the chances were few and far between, with Cristian Battocchio's attempt at a scissor kick just before the end of regular time failing to bring the brillant last-mintue goal the side had hoped for.

A shot from a Palace corner from Mile Jedinak also came close, with Almunia once again shutting the side down as extra time beckoned.

As 90 minutes came to an end, Watford began the next half hour with a massive attempt on goal, with Julian Speroni forced to make his first save of the game for Palace after a cracking attempt from Troy Deeney. The side continued to fire at will, with Fernando Forestieri and Cristian Battocchio also making the keeper work overtime.

But the decisive moment would come in the 106th minute after Zaha was fouled in the box by Marco Cassetti, with the referee awarding Palace a penalty. Phillips struck straight into the back of the net, and the goal finally ended the stalemate between the two sides. Ian Holloway injured his shoulder celebrating the goal, with the manager showing a typically passionate response to his team's goal.

Watford continued to attack, but their shots were continually straight into Speroni's hands. They appealed for a penalty in the dying minute after Joel Ward looked to handle the ball, but the referee would not sound the whistle until the game had come to an end.