The popular AOSP based custom ROMs have been relishing the Jelly Bean goodness with due release of the latest Android 4.1.2 firmware update. The revamped MIUI.us ROM is based on the Chinese custom firmware that brings the latest Jelly Bean features to your Galaxy Nexus. Installation of this ROM requires the device to be rooted and ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed on it.
Key Points to Note
- The MIUI ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable only to the international version of Galaxy Nexus - the I9250 model. It will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for your Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250. Download Samsung Galaxy Nexus USB drivers.
- Enable USB debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Application > Development. This feature aids in connecting your Galaxy Nexus phone with the computer.
- Ensure that your phone's battery is at least 85 percent charged to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while flashing the MIUI custom ROM on your Nexus phone.
- Users are advised to do a Nandroid backup of apps, important personal data and settings (such as contacts, bookmarks, SMS, MMS, APNs and other internet settings) to avoid data loss while installing the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update.
- Make sure that your phone is factory unlocked and rooted. Also, confirm that ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) is installed on it before proceeding with the MIUI ROM installation procedure.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the AOSP based firmware update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install MIUI.us ROM Based Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy Nexus I9250
Step 1 - Download MIUI.us ROM based Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update and Google Apps (optional) for Galaxy Nexus on your computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Galaxy Nexus USB mass storage on your computer with an USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the MIUI.us ROM zip and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off your phone.
Step 5 - Press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together until the device powers on, and boots into the Bootloader Mode.
Step 6 - Follow the onscreen navigational instructions. Choose Bootloader option and then enter CWM Recovery Mode.
Step 7 - In CWM recovery, perform full data wipe first. Then browse and highlight the flash zip from SD card option and tap the Power button to select it.
Step 8 - Hit the Power button again and click choose zip from sd card.
Step 9 - Use volume keys to navigate to MIUI.us ROM zip file and select it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation process on next screen and the installation procedure should begin.
NOTE: Repeat this step for installing Google Apps as well.
Step 10 - Once the ROM is installed, hit Go Back and choose reboot system now in the Recovery Menu. The phone will reboot now and the first boot may take about 5 minutes to complete. So, leave it alone.
MIUI.us based Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update is now successfully installed on your Galaxy Nexus I9250. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]