Microsoft's latest Windows 10 Anniversary Update fails to install and throws up an unknown error code 0x80070057, according to a number of users who have reported this particular issue on several forums including the Microsoft support community and Reddit.
The Anniversary Update, like any other cumulative update of Windows 10, downloads and installs automatically once it is available for your PC that is if you have chosen to get updates installed automatically. The Anniversary Update bearing build 1607 and OS version 14393.10 is available in all regions where Windows 10 is available.
But users are quite annoyed with the 0x80070057 error code while updating to the latest version of Windows 10. Another common error that appears during the update is error 0xa0000400. "I'm getting the error 0x80070057 while trying to update. None of the solutions on web seem to work. I know several people that are having the same problem," wrote a user on the Microsoft community.
A certain Windows user by name Alberto Berbacchi has found solution that helps resolve the problem while making the update process quite smooth.
Check out the steps below as mentioned in the Microsoft forum.
- Go to Start menu, then Settings followed by Windows Update
- Search for Update and open Check for Updates
- Now look for an option saying Learn More. Clicking on it would open a link on your default browser; click on Get the Anniversary Update now
- You should see the file name Windows10Upgrade28084
- Launch and ensure that you download all the files
- When you see a message sating Verifying Download, disable your internet/WiFi/LAN connection
- If the update gets stuck at 2% then re-enable your internet/LAN/WiFi connection to finish the update
"Empiric solution supposed to work for all devices. Disable LAN or WLAN connection immediately after the Anniversary update tool tells the verifying download phase has been concluded (may be some conflict with Windows update routine). Worked fine for me on 5 different PCs," Berbacchi told Softpedia.
Although the aforementioned solution may not work for everyone, it is the only trick as of now if you run into error 0x80070057 while updating. In case that does not work too, you might consider performing a clean installation of the Anniversary Update for which you will need to create Media Creation Tool and build installation media such as USB drive or a bootable DVD. Detailed instructions on how to do a clean installation of the Anniversary Update are given here.