A Hungarian national has been detained on Thursday, 20 October on the suspicion of carrying out a blast in Central Budapest in September 2016, in which two police officers were wounded, Tibor Keresztes, chief prosecutor said at a news conference.

National Police chief, Karoly Papp had earlier said that the officials were the target of a home-made bomb packed with shrapnel.

Keresztes said that the attacker is a citizen of Hungary and was arrested by anti-terrorist squads in the town of Keszthely, western Hungary. He was arrested on the suspicion of attempted murder of numerous people and abuse of explosives.

"The case has one suspect," Reuters quoted him as saying.

However, he refused to divulge further details about the man and of his motives. The prosecutor added that the man did not have any previous criminal record and he did not make a confession.

The two officers who were injured in the blast had to undergo surgery. At the time of the attack, authorities described the man to be a man between 20 and 25-years of age, wearing a light-coloured fishing hat, blue jeans and white trainers.

Local media reported that the surveillance footage showed an unidentified man leaving a bag at the scene of the blast. Witnesses had initially thought that the blast happened due to a gas explosion.