The man who killed a teenage woman, and injured nearly two dozen, after barrelling through Times Square in his vehicle on Thursday (18 May) says he cannot explain his actions.

Richard Rojas spoke to The New York Post for a second time from Rikers Island prison after killing one person and injuring 22 more.

"I'm not completely sure what's wrong with me," the 26-year-old said in the latest interview. Rojas reportedly appeared "tired and sullen" whilst speaking to The Post reporter.

Rojas rammed his Honda Accord through a crowded street in Times Square that left 18-year-old Alyssa Elsman dead and 22 others injured, including Elsman's younger sister. He then drove his vehicle into a traffic bollard and ran through Times Square.

When finally apprehended, Rojas allegedly yelled at police: "You were supposed to shoot me! I wanted to kill them!" Rojas later told authorities he was high on marijuana and PCP.

In his first interview, the Navy veteran told the Post he could not remember the attack, which was also a way to seek help. "I wanted to fix my life. I wanted to get a job. Get a girlfriend," he said.

When asked on Sunday if he had been threatened in jail over the attack, he replied: "Nothing has happened to me, if that's what you're meaning." Rojas was charged with murder, aggravated vehicular homicide and 20 counts of attempted murder, CBS News reported.

Elsman's 13-year-old sister remained in the hospital on Sunday with a broken leg, according to The Post. The victim's father spoke out on Saturday (20 May) about the heartbreak of losing his daughter.

"This is something beyond anything I could ever imagine, you know?" Thomas Elsman told CBS News. "My daughter came here for vacation and now I'm going to take her home and bury her."

"It's just an empty, hollow feeling," Elsman said. He added that a memorial for his daughter had been set up in Times Square, with well-wishers leaving gifts and messages. "They have a whole memorial for her down there," he said. "Beautiful, beautiful thing."

According to CBS News, six people remain in the hospital, including two in critical condition.