Microsoft has posted the official changelog detailing improvements and features in the firmware update Lumia 550 and 650 owners are reported to have received.
Last month, Lumia users noticed the update with firmware version 01078.00042.16352.50xxx through the Windows Device Recovery Tool. A few days after that, it was available as an over-the-air (OTA) update, which Microsoft has tagged as a September release. Recently, users in the UK have begun getting the new build.
One of the key improvements of the release is the support for double tap to wake. To get this working, you will need to enable it in Settings. Owners of Lumia 950 and 950 XL have been enjoying this feature for a while now, which was a part of the firmware release. First introduced in Windows Phone 8.1 as a built-in feature, the double tap to wake feature allows turning the phone's screen on simply by double tapping it.
Following is the list of improvements you should see upon updating Lumia 550 or 650 to version 01078.00042.16352.50xxx.
Support for double tap to wake enabled for Lumia 650
- Wi-Fi connectivity improvements, including fixes for Wi-Fi connection dropping randomly and Wi-Fi scan occasionally not returning any results
- Bluetooth connectivity improvements
- Stability and reliability improvements
- Camera improvements, including improved image and video quality, improved auto-focus and fix for a problem that was causing slow motion capture to skip frames for some users
- Cellular connectivity improvements, including fix for a problem that caused occasional network loss for some users
- Audio quality improvements, including fix for a problem that caused voice call audio to get scrambled for some users
The rollout depends on the model number, region or network providers. Once it arrives on your Lumia phone, go to Settings>> Update & security>> Phone update>> Check for updates to grab the firmware manually.