George North
North was left motionless after scoring his second try of the night against Wasps. Getty Images

George North insists he is fine after suffering yet another head injury during Northampton's 52-30 Aviva Premiership victory over Wasps on Friday evening (27 March).

The Welsh wing was rendered motionless and required lengthy treatment after being struck by the knee of Nathan Hughes shortly after scoring his second try of the evening and the incident evoked fears for his welfare after a string of similar incidents.

North was concussed while playing for Wales against New Zealand last autumn and also found himself at the centre of controversy during the Six Nations curtain-raiser against England in February after he was permitted to play on after appearing to be twice knocked unconscious.

While the latter decision was made in error without knowledge of the second clash of heads, the 22-year-old was stretchered off at Franklin's Gardens and did not return for the remainder of the match.

Hughes, meanwhile, was dismissed by referee Craig Maxwell-Keys despite protesting that the action was unintentional.

Concerns about North's long-term health are certainly understandable after this latest blow, but the player himself was quick to allay any fears and tweeted: "Thanks for all the messages. Feeling OK, up and about."


A thrilling victory for table-toppers Northampton, secured by Jim Mallinder's side despite conceding a hat-trick of tries at the hands of England World Cup hopeful Christian Wade, saw them increase their lead over Exeter to 14 points ahead of the latter's upcoming trip to Leicester.

The Saints return to action on April 4 with a potentially tricky trip to Clermont Auvergne in the quarter-finals of the inaugural European Champions Cup.

North's availability for that keenly anticipated fixture is not yet known, although Mallinder expressed hope that he would be fit to play.

"He clearly took a bang straight to the head but he came round and he sat up in the changing room and managed to have a little sing-song," the director of rugby said after the win.

"We'll look after him and hopefully he'll be OK next weekend."