Tottenham Hotspur's need to add to their forward options has heightened following confirmation that Clinton N'Jie has suffered a knee ligament injury.
N'Jie joined the north London club from Lyon during the summer transfer window and while he is yet to score for the club, the Cameroon international has impressed in cameo appearances. But Mauricio Pochettino has confirmed the 22-year-old has picked up what could be a serious knee injury that is likely to rule him out over the festive period at the very least.
"Clinton has picked up a knee ligament injury and maybe we will be without him for a while," Pochettino told a press conference on Friday, Tottenham's official website reports.
N'Jie has been immediately ruled out for the visit to Southampton on Saturday along with Ryan Mason, who is struggling with an ankle injury. Mousa Dembele meanwhile is close to making his return but will undergo a final assessment before Saturday's match. Alex Pritchard is still out with an ankle injury.
Pochettino has previously indicated he is keen to bring another striker to White Hart Lane to provide back up and competition for Harry Kane, but has also insisted N'Jie and Son Heung-min were both able to offer options in that area. But should Tottenham lose the former to injury, it is likely to intensify their search for other options.
"We have offensive players who can play like Harry," Pochettino said. "There is Sonny or [Nacer] Chadli or Clinton – they can play like a striker. But I recognise they are not specific strikers, so maybe we work to try to find such a player we can add in the next transfer window or in the summer. We are trying to follow players now but it is very difficult."