One Direction are planning to temporarily disband for a year in March to focus on solo projects, it has been reported. A source close to the group reportedly says the boys are not splitting up and intend getting back together in the future.
According to The Sun newspaper's Dan Wootton, a source close to the boyband said: "The guys have been together for five years, which is an incredible run for any boyband. They fully deserve to have at least a year to work on their own projects.
"There is absolutely no bad blood between them and they are all 100 per cent behind the decision.It is definitely not a split and they fully intend to get back together at some time in the future."
As they embark on independent projects, the band will not tour their upcoming fifth album. Their final show will be at Motorpoint Arena in Sheffield on October 31. Its thought that the decision to disband was reached during crunch talks in London last weekend.
One Direction were formed on the TV talent show The X Factor in 2010 comprising Niall Horan, Harry Styles, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson and former band member Zayn Malik. Malik's shock departure in March prompted near hysteria from fans, however, it is not thought to be a factor in the temporary split.
Liam Payne recently commented in an interview that the group were in need of a hiatus from their demanding touring schedule and hinted that they were planning to take some time off following the release of their fifth studio album later this year.
Speaking during an interview with Free radio, the Drag Me Down singer, explained: "You know, I think everyone needs a little bit of a break now, and a sit down and a stop, to kind of take in all the great things that've happened."
Payne is said to be keen on working on solo tracks and producing music as well as turning DJ. Harry Styles is expected to be a break-out star, launching a solo music career. He is also being courted by Hollywood with Harvey Weinstein hailing his "star potential." "He's like Errol Flynn, he's got that swashbuckling charm. Definite star potential. I think he'd be great. No question," said Weinstein in an interview with Mail Online.
Weinstein had previously offered the singer a role in his movie Tulip Fever, featuring a star-studded cast including Judi Dench, Christoph Waltz and Zach Galifianakis, but Styles was forced to turn it down due to touring commitments.
Niall Horan is also said to be interested in launching a solo career, and has been writing with friend Canadian teen idol Justin Bieber. Louis Tomlinson meanwhile, is keen to follow in the footsteps of music mogul Simon Cowell by launching a 'Be in the Band' search, which aims to find talented female musicians to form a girl group.
There has so far been no official confirmation of the reports from representatives of One Direction or any member of the band themselves.
Meanwhile, the news was quickly trending on social media with fans expressing their disbelief and doubt over the reports of a split.
Well, we don't know if this is truly the end for #OneDirection, but it's another Niall in the coffin.
— IDDQD (@SmallTownBrows) August 23, 2015
I doubt the split is real so don't go jumping to conclusion #OneDirection
— leahhh//23days (@fgsbeer) August 23, 2015
So they are each going their own direction... See what I did there? #OneDirection
— Gwen (@Claredaisy) August 23, 2015
— one direction (@___Niallhoran__) August 23, 2015
— a little payne (@alscraig) August 23, 2015