Texas murder Wayman
George Coty Wayman (L) is accused of murdering Dominic Tra’Juan Castro (R) in Texas Clay County Sheriffs / Facebook

A Texas teenager has been accused of shooting dead his three-year-old stepson because he was annoyed by the toddler "jumping on the bed". George Coty Wayman has been arrested in a rural trailer park on a capital murder charge after Dominic Castro was shot once in the back of the head.

The 18-year-old, from Bellevue, a small town in north Texas near the Oklahoma border, was apprehended on Tuesday 17 May after the incident. Details of the alleged murder were revealed in an arrest affidavit released by Clay County police officers two days later.

Following a 911 call Police say that they were initially told that Dominic was jumping on the bed causing the 9mm gun to accidentally discharge. But police claim that witnesses finally revealed that Wayman was annoyed by the toddler jumping on the bed when he pointed the gun at him and told him to stop.

He is then alleged to have fired one shot that struck the child in the back of the head. The toddler was then airlifted to the United Regional Health Care in Wichita Falls where he died Wednesday morning.

Local news station KFDX-TV reported that the boy's mother, Vernoica Rene Castro, and other adults were in the trailer at the time of the shooting and police believe evidence found in the bedroom of the trailer confirms the witness's account.

Neighbour Mathew Bielhl, who was not at home at the time of the shooting, told the station: "Wow. I would've never thought in my life I would see something like that happen around here especially in a peaceful little place like this. When I found out what was going on I couldn't believe it."

According to reports from the rural community, the boy's father has been in prison since 2014 with a parole release turned down recently. Veronica Castro is believed to be staying with friends nearby.

Wayman also faces criminal trespass charges and was being held on bail of more than $500,000 (£344,000). Clay county Sheriff Kenny Lemons said there are no plans to pursue charges against witnesses who reportedly gave false information at the start of the investigation.