HTC has finally started rolling out its first stock Android 5.0.1 Lollipop update via over-the-air (OTA) for its flagship devices, One M7 and One M8, following the most-awaited technical approval from Google.
The OTA update is expected to be rolled out in phases over the next two weeks. However, curious HTC One owners who cannot wait for the official Lollipop release can install the same manually, using the step-by-step guide given below.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after Android 5.0.1 firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The instructions provided in this guide are limited to HTC One M8 and One M7 GSM devices and will not work with any other model. Verify your device model from Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure your phone has at least 60% battery charge to avoid inadvertent shutdown during the installation process.
- Verify that the phone is in S-OFF mode.
- Make sure the correct USB drivers (download here or click here for Windows 8 drivers) are installed for the phone on computer.
- Enable USB debugging on your phone from Settings > Developer Options.
Steps to update HTC One Google Play Edition to stock Android 5.0.1 Lollipop manually
Step 1: Download Android 5.0.1 OTA update for your HTC One using the appropriate download links given above and then rename it to lollipop.zip.
Step 2: Copy the lollipop.zip file to the desired location on your phone's internal storage.
Step 3: Reboot your phone into stock recovery as follows: Turn off the phone and then press and hold Volume Down key along with the Power button until the Fastboot menu appears on screen.
Step 4: Now use volume keys to navigate and highlight Recovery option, and then hit Power key to confirm selection.
Step 5: Your device should now reboot and you will see a red Android logo with an exclamation mark on the screen.
Step 6: At this moment, hit the Volume Up key followed by the Power button to progress into the stock recovery.
Step 7: Use Volume keys to choose 'Apply from phone storage' option and then select the Lollipop OTA file which you copied earlier in Step 2. Then hit the Power button to confirm selection and wait until the installation completes.
Step 8: Once the update completes, choose Reboot System Now option to boot into the newly installed Android 5.0.1 firmware on your HTC One.
Note: The first boot may take some time (up to 10 minutes). So, leave the system as is and do not interrupt the reboot process.
[Source: Android Beat]