Caitlyn Jenner's E! docu-series show has been cancelled after just two seasons, it has been confirmed.
The 66-year-old reality star clarified rumours that were circulating about the television series' via her Twitter profile on Tuesday (16 July).
She wrote to her 3.9 million Twitter followers: "After 2 amazing seasons of @IAmCait, it's time for the next adventure. Thank you E! & thank you to the best girlfriends I could ask for!"
The reality series chronicled the life of Jenner after her gender transition. The eight-part documentary series debuted on 26 July 2015 on the E! network – home to the hit show Keeping Up with the Kardashians.
The series' informative and serious tone differed to KUTWK and appeared to be a hit with viewers, and the show was renewed for a second season which premiered on 6 March 2016. However, it suffered very low ratings – dipping to just 860,000 viewers for the second series finale – and E! have now cancelled the series. For its season premiere last year, 2.73 million viewers tuned in.
An E! spokesperson said: "We are incredibly proud of the two seasons of I Am Cait, a groundbreaking docu-series that sparked an important and unprecedented global conversation about transgender people, their struggles and triumphs.
"Caitlyn and E! have mutually decided not to move forward with another season at this time. She will always remain a part of the E! family, and we look forward to continue following her journey as she appears on Keeping Up with the Kardashians."
Jenner's reality star counterpart on the show, Jenny Boylan, also posted a message on Facebook following the announcement.
She said: "It's official as of today - I AM CAIT will not be renewed for season 3. I am so very proud of being part of this show, and of its creators Andrea Metz and Jeff Olde in particular, who directed us with passion and grace," she wrote.
"I am grateful for the warm friendships I made with Chandi Moore and Candis Cayne and @katebornstein and Zackary Drucker and @ellagieselle and all of you. (and Kip Zachary and Courtney Nanson, who made us look so fine!) There is more work to do, and I send everyone my love."
Fans of the series have reacted on Twitter to the cancellation, with one user writing: "I Am Cait' cancellation means true feminine #beauty is more powerful than #politics. #Gender" while another wrote: "So sad that #IAmCait was cancelled. It was the only reality TV show with a cast of trans women & intelligent debates about trans politics."
Others were pleased to hear of the show's demise, with one user suggesting KUTWK should be scrapped also: "They canceled #iamcait now they need to hurry & cancel #kartrashians #alienstakethemallaway".
See more of the Twitter reaction below.