A missing Colorado father of five was found in Mexico, two months after disappearing during a trip to Southern California, according to the private investigator hired by his family.

Oliver Pareece Jones was found safe and alive in Mazatlan, Mexico by private investigator Paul Huebl, KTLA reported. Huebl told reporters that Jones had been reunited with family members in Denver, Colorado.

According to KTLA, Huebl did not reveal any details regarding how and when Jones was found or his condition.

Thirty-seven-year-old Jones was last seen on 5 April by surveillance video as he made purchases at a Rancho Cucamonga Wal-Mart. According to family members, Jones was visiting Southern California with family and was considering relocating to the area before he disappeared.

Just days before the divorced father was reported missing, Jones was assaulted and mugged outside the nightclub The Plaza, which is located on La Brea Avenue in Fairfax District. KTLA reported that he was then taken to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center with a concussion.

Family members told reporters Jones checked himself out of the hospital before completing treatment and was on his way home. The Daily Mail reported that Jones was seen on surveillance checking out of the Four Points Sheraton Hotel on 5 April at 6.26am.

Jones then withdrew $800 (£520) in cash before heading to the Wal-Mart, where he purchased several items, including clothes, a radio, backpack and camping gear. Surveillance video showed Jones leaving the store around 8.45am.

Huebl said he believed Jones suffered from amnesia as a result of the concussion.

"We know he was assaulted, and he suffered a concussion, which may very well have affected his memory, given him amnesia," Huebl told KTLA. Jones's older brother Jared Jones also believed his brother suffered from amnesia.

At the time of the disappearance, Jared Jones told ABC7: "We're thinking that his concussion really affected his ability to reason or be able to do anything."

According to KTLA, investigators at the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department have not found any evidence. Authorities have not confirmed that Jones had been found.