A man has been arrested in connection with a multiple stabbing that took place at a supermarket car park in south west London. At least four women were injured, one seriously, after being attacked at the Sainsbury's car park in Hampton, Richmond upon Thames.

Police were called to The Avenue in Hampton following reports of a man in possession of a knife. Upon arrival they found three women suffering from knife wounds. Police said their injuries are not thought to be "life-threatening or changing" at this time.

A fourth woman who had also suffered knife wounds was subsequently located at a nearby property with life-threatening injuries. She is reported to have been stabbed in the back and managed to make it to a nearby police station to raise the alarm. The London Ambulance Service attended and are providing treatment to the women.

One eyewitness, who did not want to be named, said the women appeared to be stabbed in "completely unprovoked" attacks. She told the Press Association: "One lady is in very bad condition, she had to be air-ambulanced out.

"If it had been 10 or 20 minutes earlier there would have been children there because it's right outside a primary school. He was caught very quickly just outside the car park. He appeared to be out of it, on drugs or crazy. He must have been very angry to go out and unprovokedly stab those women."

Met Police said a man in his 60s was arrested at the scene on suspicion of attempted murder and is currently in custody at a south west London police station. A spokesperson added a Taser was deployed but not used during the arrest. The incident is not believed to be terror-related.

A London Ambulance Service spokesman said: "We were called at 10.38am to reports of stabbing incidents near The Avenue, Hampton. We sent a single responder by car, incident response officer and advanced paramedic, and ambulance crews alongside London's Air Ambulance.

"We treated four women at the scene for various stab wounds including to the chest, legs and back. We took three women as a priority by road ambulance to a major trauma centre in South London. The air ambulance took the other woman as a priority to another major trauma centre in Central London"