Nine people have been injured after a shooting in the tourist centre of old New Orleans.

One person is in a critical condition following the attack in the US city's French Quarter in Bourbon Street early on Sunday ( 29 June), a New Orleans police spokesman confirmed.

The wounded were taken to hospital after the shooting and most were said to be in a stable condition.

While an investigation is ongoing, police spokesperson Frank Robertson said no arrests had been made and no suspects identified.

New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu said there would be a swift response from law-enforcement agencies.

"Our number one priority is to keep New Orleans safe. These kinds of incidents will not go unanswered ... I am confident that between video evidence and eyewitness accounts, we will bring the perpetrators to justice."

The incident is the third major shooting along Bourbon Street in the last three years.

Last February, on the Saturday before Mardi Gras, four people had to be treated at a hospital after a shooting.

In 2011, during the Halloween celebrations, one person was killed and seven others were injured after gunmen opened fire.

The location is New Orlean's most famous nightspot and a popular tourist attraction, with its array of jazz bars, strip clubs, and restaurants.

Built on higher ground than most of the city, the French Quarter was spared the worst of Hurricane Katrina in 2005.