premier inn
A summons has been served on Premier Inn seeking damages in excess of £1 million Reuters

The family of a grandmother who died after being severely scalded by a shower at a Premier Inn in Newcraighall, Edinburgh, is suing the hotel chain for £1m ($1.5M). Kalyani Uthaman, 59, sustained burns and died of multiple organ failure six weeks later.

Speaking to the Daily Record in Scotland, Glen Millar of Thompsons Solicitors said: "As instructed by the Uthaman family, a summons has been served on Whitbread plc as operators of Premier Inn seeking damages in excess of £1 million arising from the tragic loss of their mother, grandmother and sister Kalyani.

"The family also view the proceedings as a means by which further deaths in similar tragic circumstances might be avoided."

Kalyani went for a shower at the hotel on 4 August 2012 but was found minutes later by her daughter-in-law, scalded and slumped on the ground.

Kalyani's son, Sundar Vadivel Uthaman, told the BBC: "It has been very, very difficult. What my mother had to go through is very hurtful and I don't think anyone from the hotel even bothered to call us to check about her state or see if we need any help, because we are not from the UK and we are not locals of Scotland."

Millar had argued that there should have been a fatal accident inquiry [FAI] but a spokesman for the Crown Office said: "The incident was fully investigated by police, the council and health and safety experts and while this is a tragic case, independent crown counsel agree that there would be no focus for a discretionary FAI and no recommendations for a sheriff to make."