Samsung had upgraded both Exynos 5 octa-core and Snapdragon 600 quad-core (LTE) variants of Galaxy S4 bearing model numbers GT-I9500 and GT-I9505 respectively to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean in November last year. Along with other notable features, the update brought with it Samsung Knox security feature.
XDA senior member, k1mu has now shared a root exploit, which works on a number of Android powered devices. It also supports the Galaxy S4 and does not void warranty but set the custom flags. Besides, the root exploit package installs su, SuperSU and other necessary support files to enable the root.
"This rooting process should work with a wide range of Android devices, particularly those running Linux Kernel before 3.5.5 (which most Android 4.3 ROMs use.) It's known to work for may GS4 variants and is harmless if it fails to work (no "Warranty Void" flags get set.), notes the developer. Head over to the development thread to learn more about the root release.
Galaxy S4 users who wish to root their devices using root exploit, may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are advised to ensure their devices meet following set of requirements.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S4 to connect the Android device with the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone. Tap on Build Number several times until a message appears saying 'You are now a Developer.' Now enable USB Debugging Mode by navigating to Settings>> Developer Options.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP then backup data using the same.
4) If the Android phone powers off due to lack of battery while the installation process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy S4 should have charge above 80% battery charge.
5) The Root Exploit package works only with Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 and GT-I9505. As applying this to any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy S4 by navigating to Settings>> About device>> Model number.
How to root Galaxy S4 I9500/I9505 on Android 4.3 without tripping Knox
Step-1: Download Root Exploit for Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500/I9505
Download link: saferoot.zip
Step-2: Extract the Root Exploit package using WinRAR/7-zip/WinZip or any other extracting tool
Step-3: Connect the Galaxy S4 to computer using USB cable
Step-4: On the computer, navigate to the extracted directory and double click install.bat file. A command prompt window will appear, which will detect your device and automatically run the scripts
Step-5: Follow the on-screen instructions. When the process is completed, the phone will reboot automatically
Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500/I9505 running Android 4.3 should now be rooted successfully. You may now install any app that requires root permission. Also, verify the root status of the phone by downloading Root Checker app from Google Play Store.
Note: This procedure will not set the Knox warranty void flag. It will set the Custom flag, which is nothing g to worry about.
[Source: Honai of Android]