Mike Towell boxer 2015
Mike Towell (blue shorts), of Dundee takes on Danny Little of Driffield during a Welterweight match up at Glasgow's Bellahouston Leisure Centre on 23 May 2015 in Glasgow, Scotland. Towell died in September 2016 after suffering a serious injury after a bout. Mark Runnacles/Getty Images

Mike Towell has died in hospital after being injured in a boxing match on Thursday night. The boxer suffered a bleed to the brain after being defeated by Dale Evans in the fifth round of a title eliminator fight at the Radison Blu hotel in Glasgow.

Towell, 25, was previously undefeated in his 12 professional fights, recording 11 wins and one draw. But the fight was stopped by the referee Victor Loughlin after Towell was knocked down for a second time and he was rushed to hospital after receiving treatment in the ring.

In a statement on Facebook, Towell's girlfriend Chloe Ross said: "I'm absolutely heartbroken to say my annoying best friend passed away tonight at 11.02 very peacefully."

"Michael had severe bleeding and swelling to his brain," she confirmed.

According to Ross, Towell had complained of headaches for some weeks. It has not been confirmed whether there was any connection between these headaches and Towell's injury.

Referring to the son she has with Towell, Ross said: "My baby has lost his daddy. But he will be so so proud of his dad in what he achieved. Today once he was taken off of his life support… he fought right to the end and he's done us all so proud."

In a statement released by St Andrew's Sporting Club, before Towell's death was announced his opponent Evans said: "I am absolutely devastated and all my thoughts are with Mike and his family."

"The ingredients were there for an entertaining fight and it was that," he added. "We are both punchers and so sadly for Mike he came out the wrong side… The aftermath is so hard to take in."


Posted by St Andrew's Sporting Club Ltd on Friday, September 30, 2016

Towell's death comes in the wake of a number of high-profile incidents in boxing. Earlier in September a fight between Great Britain's Kell Brook and Gennady Golovkin was stopped in the fifth round due to concerns for Brook's health. It was later revealed Brook had suffered a fractured eye socket for which he later required surgery.

Earlier in the year, Nick Blackwell was forced to retire after a fight with Chris Eubank Jr caused a bleed on the brain, resulting in Blackwell being put in an induced coma.

At the time of the fight, Eubank's father Chris Eubank Sr. expressed concern that the fight had not yet been stopped by the referee.