Two men were charged with manslaughter over the death of a 15-year-old girl who suffered a severe allergic reaction after eating a takeaway meal. A postmortem examination revealed Megan Lee died from acute asthma resulting from a nut allergy.

Mohammed Abdul Kuddus, 39, and Harun Rashid, 38, were charged with manslaughter in Lee's death, The Guardian reported.

The 15-year-old suffered an allergic reaction after eating takeaway food from Royal Spice Indian in Hyndburn, Lancashire. She was admitted to hospital in Blackburn on 30 December 2016 and died two days later.

An inquest was told that Lee's brain was starved of oxygen after she went into cardiac arrest due to anaphylactic shock.

The coroner said it was believed her death may be related to the purchase of the takeaway meal, The Mirror reported.

Lancashire Police said the men were also charged with one count of failing to discharge general health and safety duty to a person other than employee and one count of contravening or failing to comply with an EU provision concerning food safety and hygiene.

According to the Guardian, the company that owned the restaurant was also charged with one count of failing to discharge general health and safety duty to a person other than an employee. The restaurant, which closed after being hit with an emergency notice on 6 January, is now under new ownership.

The men are set to appear before Blackburn magistrates court on 4 January 2018.