Banner Drive, Knightswood
Banner Drive in the Drumchapel area of Glasgow where the incident took place Google maps

Two police officers have been seriously injured following a hit-and-run attack in Glasgow, which is being investigated as an attempted murder. Detectives say that the officers were deliberately mowed down after they tried to speak to people inside a car.

One of the injured officers, a 30-year-old policewoman, is in intensive care after being dragged along the street beneath the car, according to reports. Her 31-year-old male colleague also remains in hospital after the incident in the Drumchapel area of the city.

The two officers stopped a car in Banner Drive, Knightswood, at 11:15pm BST on Sunday (23 October), before the vehicle was deliberately reversed into them. Police say a blue Nissan Qashqai, which had been at the scene, was later discovered burned in the Scotstoun area of the city.

Detective Inspector Ian Hylands said after the incident: "Despite the damage, forensic officers will carry out a comprehensive examination of the car. Everything that can be done to locate the suspects is being done but I would like to appeal to anyone who may have seen the incident last night or who has any knowledge of the vehicle or the suspects to contact us.

"Two police officers, in responding to an incident to help protect the public, have been badly injured. Help us find those responsible."

In response to the incident the Scottish Police Federation (SPF), which represents all ranks below the position of Superintendent, expressed solidarity with the officers and their families but also criticised the initial police response to the attack.

SPF chairman Brian Docherty said, according to the BBC: "Our colleagues were simply doing their damnedest to keep the public safe and faced an unconscionable attack on their lives as a consequence. This is a despicable and cowardly act and there can be no doubt that those who drove a vehicle at police officers did so with the intention of taking their life. The SPF is fully supporting the officers, their families and friends at this incredibly difficult time."

The SPF chairman added: "We will be raising with the Police Service of Scotland why almost 12 hours had passed before we were made aware of this horrific incident. We will also be asking why the power of traditional and social media was not immediately deployed to help trace these criminals.

"The Police Service of Scotland social media accounts are amongst the most followed in the country and could have alerted thousands to the fact dangerous criminals were being sought."

Police Scotland has denied there was any unnecessary delay in making information public saying they needed to fully establish the facts first.