Aerial view of the rented property in Headley, Surrey Google Earth

Two people have been arrested following an investigation into a shooting at a private party in Surrey, in which one person was killed and another injured. Police have confirmed one person was arrested on suspicion of murder and another on suspicion of assisting an offender in connection with the ongoing investigation in Headley.

Police were called to an address in Church Lane, Headley, at 2.30am on 25 July following reports of a disturbance. When officers arrived at the scene, they found the body of a 34-year-old man who had suffered a gunshot wound. A 36-year-old woman is also receiving medical treatment after being shot in the leg, but her injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

The murder victim has not yet been formally identified. Police are still appealing for anyone to come forward to provide any information on the "shocking turn of events" at a party that would have been "witnessed by a number of people".

A Surrey police spokesperson said: "Our investigation is continuing and if you were at this event or have any information or footage of what happened and have not yet spoken to police I urge you to come forward and talk to us or call Crimestoppers anonymously.

"We are particularly keen to speak to anyone who saw a white and black Mini, which left the scene following the incident. At this stage we believe the weapon used in the shooting was a handgun that has not yet been recovered.

"There continues to be a significant police presence in the local area but I would reassure the local community we not believe there is any ongoing risk to Headley residents. A police cordon is in place and the road is expected to remain closed for several hours while work at the scene is carried out.

"At this time our thoughts are very much with the family and friends of the man who died."

Headley Parish Council chairman David Preddy said the pool party in which the shooting occurred should never have taken place, as there were complaints about a party at the same address 12 months ago. Preddy told IBTimes UK: "Last year we had similar complaints about noise and disturbances as the party started on Sunday and went through to Monday morning rather than being at the weekend. As a result we raised concerns with police and the local authority [Mole Valley District Council].

"The serious thing that worries me from a parish council perspective is that we raised concerns last year. I have been told that this event received a temporary event notice that means it was approved by Mole Valley and the police. This event would not have happened if it was left to the parish council."