Police have arrested a 23-year-old man in Chorlton, South Manchester, in connection with the suicide bomb attack on Manchester Arena on 22 May.

Some 22 people, including children, died in the explosion after the Ariana Grande concert. Twelve children under the age of 16 are among the 59 casualties. Police identified the lone male bomber as Salman Abedi. He died at the scene after detonating an improvised explosive device.

Officers in riot gear raided a flat at 12.20pm at Royston Court on the border of Chorlton and Whalley Range, south-west Manchester, where the bomber is believed to have lived.

Residents told The Guardian that the flats were built two years ago and are mainly occupied by refugees.

Neil Labrow who lives in a flat at Royston Court said that residents have been told they may leave but will not be allowed to return to their homes until further notice.

Police also carried out a controlled explosion at an address in Fallowfield this afternoon.

"Police have executed warrants, one in Whalley Range, and one in Fallowfield, where a controlled explosion took place, as part of the investigation into last night's horrific attack at the Manchester arena," a police statement read.

In a separate incident, a man was arrested at the Arndale shopping centre in Manchester, after it was temporarily evacuated. He was not connected to last night's attack, according to police.

Prime Minister Theresa May said on 23 May that authorities were aware of the identity of the bomber and that they were investigating whether he was acting alone or as part of a terror group.

May described the incident as an "appalling and callous terrorist attack."

She said the terrorist's decision to target a venue full of children made the attack "among the worst terrorism we have experienced in the UK."

"We struggle to comprehend the warped and twisted mind that sees a room of young people as an opportunity for carnage," May said.

Manchester mayor Andy Burnham said the "spirit of the city would prevail in the wake of evil."