Police arrested an elderly man after two women were shot dead at a Surrey home Handout

An 82-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after two women and four dogs were shot dead at a home in Farnham, Surrey.

Detectives from the Surrey and Sussex Police Major Crime Team are investigating after the bodies were found at an address in Farnham.

Officers were called shortly before 10am to an address off Crooksbury Road, where the average house price is more than £1,000,000, following reports that a gun had been fired at the property.

Police searched the area and discovered the bodies of a woman in her forties and a woman in her sixties.

Both appear to have suffered from gunshot wounds and a firearm was found at the scene, however, post mortem examinations are due to take place later today to establish the cause of their deaths.

The women have yet to be formally identified.

Four dogs were also found dead at the property with gunshot wounds.

An 82 year-old man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of murder and remains in police custody while the investigation continues.

Two women's bodies and four dogs were riddled with bullets at a house in Farnham Crown Copyright / Surrey County Council

The parties involved are all believed to be known to each other and police are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident. There is not believed to be any risk to the wider community.

Police remain at the scene today while further searches of the address and forensic examinations are carried out to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident.

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Preston said: "It is extremely sad that two people have lost their lives and police family liaison officers are working to support their relatives and friends at this very difficult time.

"We are conducting a full and thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding these two deaths, however, at this time, we believe this is an isolated incident and there is no further risk to the wider community.

"Officers remain at the scene conducting enquiries and will be on site for some time. This investigation is in its early stages and we will issue updates when we have them."