Greene bath drowned
Stewart Greene (left) was jailed for life after drowning his nine-year-old grandson Alex Robinson (right) in the bath Lincolnshire Police

A man who drowned his nine-year-old grandson in the bath two days before Christmas has been jailed for life for the boy's murder today (26 November). Stewart Greene, 65, murdered Alex Robinson whilst his mother, grandmother and his four-year-old sister had gone out to buy a Turkey on 23 December 2014.

During the trial it emerged that Greene had double-locked the doors on a property in Pennell Street, Lincoln, ran a bath, walked his grandson into the bathroom and drowned him. When Alex's mother Joanne Greene, returned from her shopping trip Greene told her calmly: "I've drowned Alex".

The court had heard about Greene's complex and comprehensive mental health history, with numerous diagnoses since his twenties including depression and bipolar disorder. In fact, Greene from Danes Court, Grimoldby, had been released from a mental health unit just 12 days previously and had come into conflict with Ms Greene over whether or not he could stay at her address.

During the trial she said that she had begged medical staff to keep him at the unit. Originally, Greene had denied a murder charge on the grounds of being mentally ill, but changed his plea to guilty during his trial.

The judge, Mrs Justice Thirlwall, told Greene he will serve a minimum of 22 years in prison. Sentencing him at Lincoln Crown Court, she said, according to the BBC: "The callousness cannot be overstated."

Psychiatrist Dr Philip Joseph diagnosed Greene as having a psychopathic personality disorder typified by an "incapacity to experience guilt". He added that Greene understood his actions and his ability to form a rational judgement was not impaired.

He told the court: "In over 30 years, this is one of the most callous killings or murders I have been involved with. Although his judgement was abhorrent, immoral and illegal, it was rational."

The court had heard how Alex had hated the water and Ms Greene had found him in the bath surrounded by his sisters toys and his lips blue. In a statement his family said his death had left a "huge hole" in their lives.

It read: "We were privileged to have had Alex, if only for a short time. Nothing will ever make up for the loss of Alex and this has left a huge hole in our lives. Alex's sister has been left without her brother whom she idolised and we will continue to keep his memory alive in everything that we do. Shine bright little boy."

Det Insp Helen Evans of Licolnshire Police said: "I didn't know Alex but through this investigation I feel I have come to know him and what a lovely little boy he was," she said.

"What is stark in this case is the heartbreak and devastation that has been caused to one family. The sadness of losing Alex cannot be put into words and for that to have happened at the hands of his grandfather is more than one family should have to bear."