Surrey Police believe the suspected missing boy bundled into a black VW van was either genuinely kidnapped or was bundled into the van by an "angry parent". A huge police search was launched on Thursday afternoon (25 August 2016) after a member of the public reported that a six-year-old was supposedly taken off the streets and into the back of a black VW van.

Detectives traced a VW Transporter they thought might have been involved, but ruled it out after speaking to the owner. They are still looking for a similar 2002 model in connection with the incident, which investigators now say happened between 4.25pm and 4.40pm.

Updating the media outside Reigate police station, Detective Superintendent Chris Edwards said the force was still treating the incident as a suspected abduction even though there was no missing person reports in the "county, region or nationally".

He added there had been 130 responses from the public so far, and that police will return to Redstone Hill, where the boy was supposedly taken against his will, to speak to nearby residents in the hope of gleaning some new information.

Police previously said it was "extremely important" that people who know anyone who owns a similar van to contact them. It is described as having no side writing or rear windows, but with sliding side doors, three BBS-make alloy wheels – with the front nearside missing –and with chrome sidesteps. Police do not have the full number plate, but know it contains the numbers '02'.

A photo of a bike the boy was apparently playing with before being taken away might not hold the key to what happened. It was reported on Friday that a nearby pub landlord found it two days ago and put it out to be collected by refuse workers. Police have since confirmed it did not belong to the boy.